Back to

Home Care Funding

For many people, remaining at home and active in their community is a priority. The government provides funding support, through a range of initiatives:

Consumer Directed Care

Consumer Directed Care provides subsidised Home Care Packages that provide long-term support for older people who want to stay living at home. Home Care Packages are flexible – you get to choose the services and support that will make a difference to your life.

Home Care Package levels

There are four levels of Home Care Package for different levels of care and support needs:

  • Level 1 for basic care needs
  • Level 2 for low-level care needs
  • Level 3 for intermediate care needs
  • Level 4 for high-level care needs.

Each level receives a different amount of government funding. The higher the level, the more funding the government pays on your behalf, allowing you to buy more services. To get a Home Care Package, you need to have an assessment, which will decide what level of package you’re eligible for. If your needs increase, you may be re-assessed for a higher level package.

Need assistance? The Benevolent Society can support you through the assessment process.

How it works

Home Care Package funds aren’t paid to you directly. Instead, you choose an approved Home Care Package provider, such as The Benevolent Society, to administer the funds on your behalf and give you ‘case management’ support and advice.

What does this mean for Home Care Packages?

  • a case manager or case adviser helps you understand the system and work out a Care Plan
  • you decide how to spend the funding you get, rather than choosing from a menu
  • once you have a package, it stays in place for the long term.

Need assistance? The Benevolent Society can provide case management and help you develop a Care Plan.

There are four steps that you need to go through to access a Home Care Package:

Contact the Government’s My Aged Care contact centre. You can call them on 1800 200 422 or visit their website

Step 1 – Assessment over the phone

When you contact My Aged Care, you will undergo a quick phone screening so that your care needs can be assessed. Based on this initial assessment, you will either be referred to a Regional Assessment Service or to an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) for a more comprehensive assessment.

If you are referred to a Regional Assessment Service, it generally means that you require a Home Support Program for basic level support. This could include services such as meals on wheels or community transport./

If you have multiple, more complex or ongoing care and support needs, you will be referred for a more comprehensive ACAT assessment.

Step 2 – An ACAT assessment

Your Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) assessment will determine whether you are eligible for a Home Care Package, or if you require other services through transition care, respite care or permanent placement into an aged care home.

A member of your local ACAT, usually a nurse, social worker or other health care professional, will make a time to come to see you at home. They will talk to you about how you are managing day-to-day and may also ask your permission to talk to your doctor about your medical history.

During the assessment they will give you information on what services you might have available to you and what you might want to apply for. Many people also choose to have a their partner, a family member, friend or carer at the assessment to provide support.

Step 3 – Securing a Home Care Package

There are four levels of Home Care Packages – if it is determined that you are to receive home care, you will be allocated a package, based on the level of care you require. Unfortunately, just because it is decided that you are eligible for a Home Care Package, it doesn’t mean that you will automatically receive one. In Australia, there is currently a shortage of packages available, meaning that you might be placed on a waiting list. Consumer Directed Care is just one way of funding your home care requirements. Contact us about other options that could be right for you. 

The Benevolent Society provides services across a many areas of New South Wales and Queensland. Check with us to see what Home Care Packages we have available

Additional CDC Resources